Thursday, February 22, 2024

Who is Jesus?

He said to them, 
“But who do you say that I am?” 
Simon Peter said in reply, 
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 
MATTHEW 16:15-16


Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God. This revelation has been given to Simon by God, not by human understanding. Jesus gives Simon a new name, Peter, which means ‘rock’. He says that on this rock (Peter’s faith), he will build his Church. He also gives Peter the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, symbolizing authority. This passage is significant in Christian tradition, especially in relation to the authority of the Church and the role of Peter as the first Pope.

13 When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:13-19)

In the heart of faith, a truth does reside, "Jesus is the Christ," it's a fact we don't hide. The Son of the living God, so divine, in His love and mercy, we intertwine. He walked among us, a beacon so bright, in our darkest hours, He is our light. The Christ, the Messiah, the Anointed One, through Him, salvation's work is done. The Son of the living God, so pure and so true, His teachings and miracles, like morning dew. He heals, He loves, He sets us free, in Him, we find our destiny. So let us proclaim, from dawn till night, "Jesus is the Christ," our eternal light. The Son of the living God, forever He'll be, our guide, our hope, for eternity.

Heavenly Father, who revealed to Simon Peter the truth of Your Son, we come before You, acknowledging Jesus as the Christ, the living One. We stand upon the rock of faith, just as Peter did in his confession and pray for Your Church that it may stand strong against any aggression. Blessed are we, for this truth is not from flesh and blood, but revealed by You, our Father, in a divine flood. We are Your children, and upon this faith, our Church You build, may the gates of the netherworld against it not yield. You have given us the keys to the Kingdom of heaven, may we bind on earth what is bound in heaven, in Your wisdom given and whatever we loose on earth, may it be loosed in heaven above. Guide us in our actions, fill us with Your love. In the name of Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the living God, we pray, strengthen our faith, guide our actions, each and every day. Amen.


Peter, who is both a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings, exhorts the elders of the church. He encourages them to shepherd God’s flock willingly and eagerly, not for personal gain but out of a desire to serve. They are not to lord over those entrusted to them, but to be examples to the flock. Peter assures them that when the Chief Shepherd (Jesus) appears, they will receive the crown of glory that never fades away. This passage emphasizes the role and responsibilities of church leaders, and the reward that awaits them for faithful service.

1 Beloved: I exhort the presbyters among you, as a fellow presbyter and witness to the sufferings of Christ and one who has a share in the glory to be revealed. 2 Tend the flock of God in your midst, overseeing not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly. 3 Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. (1 Peter 5:1-4)

Hear the exhortation, let it ring clear, from a fellow presbyter, who holds Christ's sufferings dear. A share in the glory to be revealed, he does hold, his words are precious, more than silver or gold. "Tend the flock of God," he says, "in your midst, stand tall, not by constraint, but willingly answer the call. As God would have it, not for profit that shames, but eagerly serve, like a flame that never tames. Do not lord it over those to you assigned, but be examples to the flock, in action and mind. When the Chief Shepherd is revealed in all His story, you will receive the unfading crown of glory."

Beloved Father in Heaven, we come before You as humble servants, presbyters in Your divine court. Witnesses to the sufferings of Christ, partakers in the glory to be revealed we seek Your guidance, Your wisdom, Your strength, as our spiritual field. Help us to tend Your flock in our midst, not by constraint, but willingly, as You would insist. May we not seek shameful profit, but serve eagerly, reflecting Your love, Your grace, Your mercy. Keep us from lording over those assigned to us, instead, let us be examples, without any fuss. May our actions reflect Your love, Your truth, Your way, leading others to You, not going astray. And when the Chief Shepherd, Jesus Christ, is revealed, may we stand before Him, our hearts unsealed. Grant us, O Lord, the unfading crown of glory as we strive to live out Your holy story. In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, we pray, guide us, strengthen us, be with us, each and every day. Amen.


In times of distress or need, find peace and reassurance in God’s care. God is your shepherd who provides, guides, and protects. In trusting the Lord, there is no need to fear even when walking through the darkest valley of life. God’s abundant blessings, goodness and mercy shall follow you all the days of your life. Hope top dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come. (Psalm 23:1-3, 4, 5, 6)

The Lord is my shepherd, His blessings are flaunt. He leads me with care, lifts me from despair. In the valley so dark, I fear no evil, for His presence is my ark. He gives me courage so grand, in the face of adversity, by me, He does stand. He makes my burden light with blessings so divine. In His goodness and kindness, I forever dine. All the days of my life, His love does follow, in His house, I shall dwell, no sorrow to swallow. For years to come, in His grace, I will bask, living in His love, that's my eternal task.

Lord, my Shepherd, I shall not want. In verdant pastures, You let me jaunt. Beside restful waters, You lead my way refreshing my soul, keeping dismay at bay. Even though I walk in the valley, so dark, I fear no evil, for Your presence is my landmark. With Your rod and staff, You give me courage, against all fears, my heart, You encourage. You spread the table before me, in my foes' sight, anointing my head with oil, making my spirit bright. My cup overflows with Your blessings, so grand, in Your goodness and kindness, I forever stand. All the days of my life, Your love does follow, in Your house, I shall dwell, no sorrow to swallow. For years to come, in Your grace, I will bask, living in Your love, that's my eternal task. In Jesus' name, we pray,
Amen.




Pericope:

V: Jesus, the Kingdom, and the Church
PETER'S CONFESSION ABOUT JESUS
Matthew 16:13-20

IV: Advice to the Persecuted
ADVICE TO PRESBYTERS
1 Peter 5:1-4

First Book of Psalms 1-41
THE LORD, SHEPHERD AND HOST
Psalm 23:1-6

Reflection Source:
Copilot with Bing Chat

Determined to Journey

When the days for Jesus being taken up were fulfilled,  he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem.  (Luke 9:51) Like Jesus, we should...