Wednesday, January 10, 2024

For this Purpose have I come

He told them, “Let us go on to the nearby villages 
that I may preach there also. 
For this purpose have I come.” 
MARK 1:31


Jesus came to this world with a mission to preach the good news of God's kingdom, to heal the sick and the brokenhearted, to set the captives free and the oppressed liberated. He spoke with authority and wisdom, performed miracles and signs with compassion, challenged the hypocrites and the wicked and forgave the sinners and the repentant. 

Look for Jesus in the midst of the pain. He is the healer who can mend your wounds and scars, the comforter who can soothe your sorrows and fears, the friend who can love you unconditionally. Look for Jesus in the midst of the storm. He is the one who can calm the wind and the waves, the one who can give you peace and courage, the one who can save you from the raging sea. Look for Jesus in the midst of the darkness. He is the light of the world that shines in the night, the truth that sets you free from the lies, the way that leads you to the eternal life.

29 On leaving the synagogue Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John. 30 Simon’s mother-in-law lay sick with a fever. They immediately told him about her. 31 He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up. Then the fever left her and she waited on them. 32 When it was evening, after sunset, they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons. 33 The whole town was gathered at the door. 34 He cured many who were sick with various diseases, and he drove out many demons, not permitting them to speak because they knew him. 35 Rising very early before dawn, he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed. 36 Simon and those who were with him pursued him 37 and on finding him said, “Everyone is looking for you.” 38 He told them, “Let us go on to the nearby villages that I may preach there also. For this purpose have I come.” 39 So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons throughout the whole of Galilee. (Mark 1:29-39)

The Lord came and revealed his presence to a young boy who was serving in the temple. He called him by name in the night to a voice that he did not know. The boy ran to Eli the priest thinking that he was the one who spoke, but Eli said it was not him and told him to listen again. The boy answered the Lord's call saying "Speak, for your servant is listening" and the Lord gave him a message about the fate of Eli's house. The young boy became a prophet. He called him by name in the night to a voice that he followed all his life.

Speak Lord, for your servant is listening. I long to hear your voice and your will. I want to obey your commands and your calling. I seek to please you and do you good. You are the shepherd of my soul and my guide who leads me to green pastures and still waters and restores my life and my joy. You are the king of my heart and my lord who reign over all the earth and the heavens deserving all my worship and my love. You are the savior of my spirit and my hope who died for my sins and rose again and offer me grace and eternal life.

1 During the time young Samuel was minister to the Lord under Eli, a revelation of the Lord was uncommon and vision infrequent. 2 One day Eli was asleep in his usual place. His eyes had lately grown so weak that he could not see. 3 The lamp of God was not yet extinguished, and Samuel was sleeping in the temple of the Lord where the ark of God was. 4 The Lord called to Samuel, who answered, “Here I am.” 5 He ran to Eli and said, “Here I am. You called me.” “I did not call you,” Eli said. “Go back to sleep.” So he went back to sleep. 6 Again the Lord called Samuel, who rose and went to Eli. “Here I am,” he said. “You called me.” But Eli answered, “I did not call you, my son. Go back to sleep.” 7 At that time Samuel was not familiar with the Lord, because the Lord had not revealed anything to him as yet. 8 The Lord called Samuel again, for the third time. Getting up and going to Eli, he said, “Here I am. You called me.” Then Eli understood that the Lord was calling the youth. 9 So Eli said to Samuel, “Go to sleep, and if you are called, reply, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” When Samuel went to sleep in his place, 10 the Lord came and revealed his presence, calling out as before, “Samuel, Samuel!” Samuel answered, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” 19 Samuel grew up, and the Lord was with him, not permitting any word of his to be without effect. 20 Thus, all Israel from Dan to Beersheba came to know that Samuel was an accredited prophet of the Lord. (1 Samuel 3:1-10, 19-20)

Blessed the man who makes the Lord his trust. He does not turn to idols or to lies, delights in God's law and his justice, walks in God's ways and his light. He does not fear the evil or the curse, trusts in God's power and His goodness, rests in God's love and His grace. He does not worry about the future or the past but hopes in God's promises and his faithfulness and rejoices in God's presence and His peace.

Wait for the Lord and be obedient to His will. He knows the plans he has for you, to prosper and not to harm. He works all things together for your good, according to His purpose. He is faithful to complete the work he started in you, until the day of Christ.

2 I have waited, waited for the Lord, and he stooped toward me and heard my cry. 5 Blessed the man who makes the Lord his trust; who turns not to idolatry or to those who stray after falsehood. 7 Sacrifice or oblation you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me. Burnt offering or sin-offerings you sought not; 8 then said I, “Behold I come.” “In the written scroll it is prescribed for me, 9 to do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is within my heart!” 10 I announced your justice in the vast assembly; I did not restrain my lips, as you, O Lord, know. (Psalm 40:2, 5, 7-8, 8-9, 10)

Lord Jesus, You came to preach the good news of God's kingdom, heal the sick and the brokenhearted, and to set the captives free and the oppressed liberated. Speak Lord, for your servant is listening. I long to hear Your voice and Your will. Help me to obey all Your commands and Your calling. I seek to please You and do You good. Thank You so much for the plans You have for me, to prosper me and work all things for my good and benefit, according to Your purpose. Amen


Pericope:

II: The Mystery of Jesus
THE CURE OF SIMON'S MOTHER-IN-LAW / OTHER HEALINGS / JESUS LEAVES CAPERNAUM
Mark 1:29-31 / 32-34 / 35-39

I: History of the Last Judges, Eli and Samuel
REVELATION TO SAMUEL / SAMUEL ACKNOWLEDGED AS PROPHET
1 Samuel 3:1-18 / 19-21

First Book of Psalms 1-41
GRATITUDE AND PRAYER FOR HELP
Psalm 40:1-18

Reflection Source:
Copilot with Bing Chat

Perform a Mighty Deed

Jesus replied, “Do not prevent him.  There is no one who performs  a mighty deed in my name  who can at the same time speak ill of me.  For ...